My Cancer Journey: Recognizing God's Blessings

Being a one-year cancer survivor, God has blessed me beyond measure. Although my situation isn't as severe or complex as some, I believe that cancer survivors have many of the same challenges. I also believe that sharing one's experiences with cancer can be beneficial not only for the one sharing, but for others currently dealing with cancer, and for their families, friends, and caregivers. My prayer is that the Lord will use my story to provide encouragement and reassurance that HE is in control. Furthermore, health crisis, others will be motivated to have a more positive focus. As John Piper has urged, I do not want to "waste my cancer".

This is a journalized account of my first year. On July 23, 2007 I spent a wonderful day with my daughter, Angie and two-and-a-half month old granddaughter, Lily. When I got home later that afternoon, I checked my voicemail as I usually do when gone for the day. There was a message from WestHealth to call back as soon as possible - even a number to call after 5:00 p.m. My heart went straight to my stomach since I had just had my yearly mammogram on July 19th at the Breast Center there. I called and found out that they had found micro-calcifications on my left breast and needed to do another mammogram with other views and more magnification. I was told that it was probably nothing and that women are called back all the time. That offered a little relief.
"...I am the Lord your God - and I say to you, Don't be afraid;
I am here to help you."
Isaiah 41:13¹
I went to the Breast Center on July 24th with the idea that I would be in and out quickly. I had a lot to do that day. I ended up being there almost three hours. The mammogram showed a "questionable" area. Next, an ultra-sound was done and two different radiologists looked at it. They were both quite sure there was a problem. My first thought was directed at the Lord, "How can this be happening to me?- this must be a dream - because cancer only happens to other people! " The technician explained that the next step would be a core biopsy to get tissue from the lump and send it in to pathology to confirm whether or not it was cancer. Being the determined person I am, I asked if there was any way possible to do the biopsy right then. I do not like waiting; I like to get to the bottom of things right away and immediately have a plan of action. I like to be in control! At this point, I was not trusting the Lord, but I was sure talking to Him a lot. The biopsy was arranged after consulting with my doctor. I had to lie on an uncomfortable table for quite awhile as they were setting things up and getting the right staff together - since it wasn't planned ahead. I didn't care, because I wanted to get it over with. The procedure was not fun. The area was "numbed" and a long needle inserted in my breast directed to the lump by the ultra-sound equipment. Ordinarily, the needle is inserted and brought back out 5 times - mine was 8 times. It was very painful. I have always considered myself "tough" and practiced "mind over matter" techniques all the time. It didn't work! To make matters worse, the doctor doing the procedure was very blunt (which I normally prefer). As he was performing the biopsy, he said, "Yes, I'm sure it's cancer - I've done so many of these over the past 16 years that I know what it looks like". Now I was really in shock and in pain - and asking the Lord, again, "How can this be happening to me?"
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help
in times of trouble."
Psalm 46:1²
My personal experience with breast cancer has been a gift. My faith and love of my Savior, Jesus, has become deeper and more real. I have found that developing new relationships when you are hurting and weak actually strengthens others. My need has given others an opportunity to love. It is a two-way street of generous giving and grateful receiving. I have learned that Christians are never anywhere or experiencing anything by divine accident. There are reasons why we end up where we do. I know that one of the purposes of my cancer journey is to share my story and hopefully encourage others going through cancer or other health problems. My cancer sharpened my awareness of how God has always been at work in every detail of my life. God has limitless power and there are no obstacles that intimidate Him. The greatest blessing of all is the opportunity to share how Jesus Christ brought me through this health crisis and how I was able to recognize his blessings. This would not be possible if I did not know Him as my personal Savior. May all the glory and praise be given to our awesome God who loved us enough to send his own son to die on the cross in our place to provide redemption for our sins and give us eternal life.
My Cancer Journey: Recognizing God's Blessings

Article Source: EzineArticles.com


Recommended Posts :

0 comments:

Post a Comment - Back to Content

:)) ;)) ;;) :D ;) :p :(( :) :( :X =(( :-o :-/ :-* :| 8-} :)] ~x( :-t b-( :-L x( =))